Translate

A site that publishes some brief articles and other teaching of Father Thomas Reeves, the Priest/Pastor at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bloomington, IL (stmattsblm.org)

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Confession: It’s Personal

 

The Reformation re-asserted an important, Scriptural, and theological truth and reality for European Christians: Personal repentance and a restored, direct relationship with the Father have been secured for us through Jesus Christ. Even in the Old Testament, there are clear indicators that the faithful, first of all, saw themselves in an individual relationship of a kind with their Covenant God.

 

Psalm 51:

2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

    and cleanse me from my sin.

 

3 For I know my transgressions,

    and my sin is ever before me.

 

4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned,

    and done what is evil in your sight

 

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,

    and put a new and right spirit within me.

 

Ps 32

1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,

    whose sin is covered.

 

5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you,

    and I did not hide my iniquity;

I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’,

    and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

 

While even these verses are to be read in a communal context, the reality is sure. When we sin and disobey our Lord, we must personally confess these to him for forgiveness. As the New Testament makes clear to us, Jesus Christ, the final High Priest, has secured the forgiveness of our sins past, present, and future, but sin can still hinder the power we have through the Spirit and the healing that the Lord wants to bring us in this life. Our status as forgiven and righteous does not change, but our faithful journey to that final day of salvation should reflect an ever-transformed existence. Whatever the tensions and unknowns of the mystery of salvation, the baptized can still walk away from the salvation that has been secured for them.

 

In the next article, the final installment of our series on confession, we will consider the place and importance of the Rite of Reconciliation, i.e., the Sacrament of Confession, as it is explained and used in the Book of Common Prayer.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment